A comprehensive resource for PC enthusiasts and professionals alike. Packed with the latest speeds and feeds, youâ€™ll want to keep this book on-hand as an authoritative technology reference.
Chris Angelini, Managing Editor, Tomâ€™s Hardware
For 20 years, Upgrading and Repairing PCs has been the worldâ€™s #1 guide to PC hardware: the single source for reliable information on troubleshooting and fixing problems, adding hardware, optimizing performance, and building new PCs. Now, better than ever, this 20th Edition offers beefed-up coverage of the newest hardware innovations and maintenance techniques, plus more than 90 minutes of new DVD video.
Scott Mueller delivers practical answers about PC processors, motherboards, buses, BIOSes, memory, storage, video, audio, I/O, input devices, n etworks, Internet connectivity, power, and much more. Youâ€™ll find the industryâ€™s best coverage of diagnostics, testing, and repairâ€"plus cutting-edge discussions of improving performance via overclocking and other techniques.
Mueller has taught thousands of professionals in person and millions more through his books and videosâ€"nobody knows more about keeping PCs running perfectly. Whether youâ€™re a professional technician, a small business owner trying to save money, or a home PC enthusiast, this is the only PC hardware book you need!
NEW IN THIS EDITION
- The newest processors, including Intelâ€™s 2nd generation Core i3, i5, i7 plus the Atom, and AMDâ€™s new VISION series CPUs
- 3TB (and larger) disks, 4K sectoring, partition alignment, faster SATA disk interfaces, and SSD (Solid State Drive) hard drive replacements
- New firmware innovations, from full UEFI BIOS support to built-in motherboard flash BIOS upgrade utilities
- Integrated video and audio, including 5.1/7.1 surround sound, HDMI, and DisplayPort connections
- Updated PCI Express and Power Supply specifications for powering high-end video cards
- Emerging interfaces such as USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt
- Updated coverage of building PCs from scratchâ€"from choosing and assembling hardware through BIOS setup and troubleshooting
ON THE DVD
Get more than 90 minutes of up-to-the minute, studio quality how-to videosâ€"all playable on your DVD player or computer! In this edition, Scott Mueller offers true insider information about several of the key components in a PC, including hard disk drives, power supplies, motherboards, and more.
You will see hard drives completely dissec tedâ€"even see an open hard drive in operationâ€"so you can observe exactly what happens under the covers. One of the most common causes of failure in modern motherboards, power supplies, and many other PC components are bad capacitorsâ€"otherwise known as the capacitor plague. Mueller will show several real-world examples of this â€œdisease,â€ so you can easily identify and perhaps even repair the problem. Finally, because external hard drives are now commonly used for supplementary storage and backups, youâ€™ll find a complete discussion of several alternatives on the market. This includes tips and tricks for building or assembling your own flexible, high performance and highly reliable external storage drives, with several examples shown. This DVD also contains the complete 19th edition of this book in printable form, plus extensive technical reference material, a comprehensive glossary, and more!